- How did God speak to you through His Word today?
- In what way are you encouraged to take one step toward Jesus? How should your life change because of what you heard, sang, or prayed?
- Why is there no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus?
- What does it mean to be “in Christ Jesus” (8:1, 2)? How does a person become “in Christ Jesus”? Are you “in Christ Jesus”?
- The written Law of the Old Testament is powerless to enable us to obey God or attain life (7:10; 15-18)–it cannot free us from sin and death. However, how has God done what the Law is powerless to do (8:2-3)? (Romans, LifeChange, NAVPress, 114)
- Paul is careful to describe the incarnation of Jesus as, “in the likeness of sinful flesh” (8:3). Why is this distinction important?
- What is God’s goal in releasing us from the law of sin and death (8:4; compare 7:4)? (LifeChange, 115)
- Do Christians walk according to the Spirit in order to fulfill the righteous requirement? Or, do Christians walk according to the Spirit because the righteous requirement has been fulfilled in Christ? Why does this matter?
- When you think about your past, do you feel like there is condemnation or no condemnation? In what ways should your thinking change about your past?