- How did God encourage, comfort, or convict you today?
- What did you hear today that challenges your thinking or living?
- Is the directing power of the Spirit available only to Christians (8:9)? Why or why not? (Romans, LifeChange, NavPress, 116)
- Since it is the Holy Spirit who gives power for service, how should we pray? How should our weakness and His strength shape our praying?
- Forgiveness by Christ and union with Christ can never be separated from the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit (see Romans 8:9b). What are some potential dangers of requiring a simple confession of Jesus as Lord for baptism and church membership without requiring evidence of the Holy Spirit’s indwelling presence?
- Where do you see the Holy Spirit leading and sanctifying you?
- If you are a parent, what does it mean to be grieved by one of your children? If a fire is burning brightly but is quenched, what happens? Are there any ways that you are grieving or quenching the Holy Spirit?
- Look back over the last few years of your life. Can you see a pattern of gradual growth in godliness? Explain where you see the Spirit of Christ working in you.