Please use the following questions to better understand and apply the verses we are memorizing this week.
Philippians 1:22-24, “If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. 24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.”
- Read verse 22 and then look back at verse 11. Notice how Paul mentions “fruit” or “fruitful” in both verses. According to verse 11, from where and for whom is this fruit? Pray verses 9-11 over your family.
- In verse 22 what is Paul struggling between and why? Discuss this struggle in all our lives as believers.
- In verse 23, Paul says his desire is to depart and be with Christ. Do you have this same desire? Pray that God will help you exalt Christ above all things.
- List 15 earthly pleasures (family, friends, food, sleeping in…). Discuss why being with Christ is “far better” than each of these. Read Psalm 16:11for hints.
- What does Paul’s decision seem to be according to verse 24, and why does he come to this conclusion?
- In verse 24, whose needs does Paul seem to place above his own desires? Read Philippians 2:3-4. How does your life need to change in order to match these verses?
- Verses 22-24 speak toward our desires and how we should consider the believers around us. Have these verses caused you to think of your earthly life and your eternal life differently? If so, how?